This week we’re VERY pleased to be able to share the video diary of a recent conference on ‘New Approaches to Greek and Roman Myth’, which was held at The Open University London Regional Centre in Camden Town on Saturday 21st January 2012.
We filmed short highlights of the six papers given during the day, and caught up with some of the speakers and other conference participants in the coffee breaks. Hopefully the video will give you a taster of what the conference was like – obviously there wasn’t space to film each paper in its entirety, BUT if you’d like to hear more from any of the speakers please do let us know, and we’ll do our best to convince them to give longer interviews for Classics Confidential! Paper titles and speaker names are listed below, together with some relevant weblinks. (Follow this link if you’d rather watch the video on YouTube)
- Anastasia Bakogianni (OU) – Electra Ancient and Modern: The Reception of the Myth in Greek Tragedy and in the Modern World
- Joanna Paul (OU) – The Half-Blood Hero: Percy Jackson and Mythmaking in the 21st Century
- Frances Eley (OU) – Staging Sacred Drama: Reception in Process
- Sam Newington (OU) – Greece and the Near East: Creation Myths
- Tori McKee (OU) – Reconstructing the Hippolytus myth: Euripidean Echoes in Modern Adaptations of Racine’s Phedre
- Susan Deacy (Roehampton) – How to Write a Classical Mythology Textbook